An update on Squirrel Boy & the pear snowmen, trying a new technique in papier-mache, & a bat that didn’t get into the Halloween display

20181114_051634 (2)Poor Squirrel Boy! I’m trying the floral tape wrap on him to give him a smoother surface. I made his tail a bit longer, his back legs a little longer for better balance, made his arms a little longer, and extended his muzzle a little bit to give him a more egg shaped head like actual squirrels have. When he has a full layer of the tissue paper glued on him, I’ll open his eye sockets back up. Up in the top of the picture is what will be Spider Girl. I’m starting her now cause my paint I want to use on her might not be usable when it gets close to next Halloween, a use it or loose it thing. She will look similar to Spider Boy but have a more extensive dot pattern and maybe a bow on her head. So, the floral tape wrapping thing is the new, to me, papier-mache technique and it really does help to create a smoother surface, it worked real well on the pear snow men shapes I made. When you are using the tape you pull on it as you wrap it around your shape and it sort of sticks in place and self seals itself. 20181114_051510 (2)The pear snowmen shapes are now ready for the gesso, again. The bleeders and the two I made have two layers of varnish, two layers of tissue paper and two layers of acrylic matte medium on them. The other pears that didn’t do strangeness have two more layers of the matte medium, just to make sure they can handle the wetness from the gesso and the paint. Wish me luck! Hopefully, there won’t be any more weird things happening with the prep for these guys.20181114_052143 (2)This is Bat Boy and I’m not tormenting him with those pins!  I made him so he could hang suspended in the air between like my two cupboards like he’s flying. The pins have thread attached to them for the hanging part. He was hiding on my desk and I didn’t find him till after Halloween. I saw him in Woman’s Day magazine several years ago and worked up a pattern for him. That was the easy part. The sewing part was the tricky part.20181114_051945 (2)He is made out of black fleece for his body and black felt for his wings and outer ear shapes. His inner ear shapes are pink felt and his little feet are brown felt. His muzzle is a pink pompom with a black felt dot for his nose. His eyes are two neon green beads with the pupils marked on with a black Sharpie. He is stuffed with polyester Poly-fil. All his parts except for the black dot for his nose and the pink inner ears are sewn in place during his assembly, even his pink muzzle. His black nose, which is glued on with fabric glue, hides the knot that holds the muzzle on. The pink part of his ears is glued onto the black outer part with fabric glue. All his parts had to be carefully folded inward while sewing him together and then very carefully pulled through the tiny opening when I turned him right side out before I stuffed him and sewed him shut. His body is a three inch circle and his wings when fully open extend out to sixteen inches. The black part of his ears is two inches tall and an inch wide and the pink part is an inch tall and 5/8ths of an inch wide. Each of his feet is an inch wide from outer toe to outer toe. I used a 1/4 of an inch seam allowance for his body section and for attaching his wings , ears and feet. I wouldn’t recommend him for a beginning sewer but he isn’t super hard to make. Just kind of fiddley cause trying not to accidentally over-sew his wings or ears or feet while sewing his body up and then trying to not pull him to pieces turning him right-side out. I sewed his eyes and muzzle in place before I sewed him completely shut so the knots are on the inside for those. I think Bat Boy would be considered a softie cause he’s not all felt and he is soft and kind of furry from the fleece in his body section.

So, there you go! A Squirrel Boy update, the beginning of Spider Girl, a pear snowmen update, a little info about the floral tape wrap method and Bat Boy! I hope you all have a SUPER GREAT DAY! HAPPY CRAFTING!!!

3 thoughts on “An update on Squirrel Boy & the pear snowmen, trying a new technique in papier-mache, & a bat that didn’t get into the Halloween display

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s